| ||June 04, 2009|
Hawthorne Commences Drilling at Cassiar Gold Mine; 2009 Exploration and Development Program Underway
| ||Hawthorne Gold Corp. ("Hawthorne" or the "Company") (TSX-V: HGC, US: HWTHF) is pleased to announce the commencement of drilling for the 2009 exploration and development program at the Cassiar Gold Camp in northern British Columbia, Canada. Hawthorne contracted Kluane Drilling Ltd. of Whitehorse, Yukon for up to 10,000 metres of diamond drilling. |
The Company has planned an aggressive resource and development program for 2009 which comprises the following:
"Hawthorne is excited to have commenced the 2009 exploration and development program at the Cassiar Gold Mine. Our experienced geological and technical teams have worked hard over the past 14 months preparing for this resource development program. The Company plans to fully evaluate the significant potential presented in this historic gold camp while working towards production," commented Richard Barclay, President and CEO of Hawthorne.
- Up to 10,000 metre diamond drill program in three focused areas:
- Taurus Zone -- to define gold zones at surface (grading 3+ g/t Au)
- Table Mountain Development - to define additional high-grade underground gold zones similar to East Bain Zone - geological model has defined multiple target areas
- Table Mountain Exploration - to test higher impact regional and deeper areas of interest defined by geological model derived from geophysical, geochemical and geological work
- 150 metres of ramp advance followed by 150 metres of undercutting underground development and rehabilitation to access the East Bain Zone in preparation for planned underground production
- Property-wide exploration program including trenching, soil sampling and "ground truthing" relating to geophysical signatures identified in 2008; numerous areas identified from interpretation of geological model and historic exploration
- 10,000 tonne bulk sample and metallurgical testing of Taurus Zone for potential supplemental mill feed from small high grade open pits for Cassiar Gold Mine once underground production commences
2008/09 Progress to Date:
Michael Petrina, P.Eng., the Company's Vice President of Mining and a Qualified Person as defined by National Instrument 43-101, has reviewed and approved the technical disclosure contained in this news release.
- Consolidated the Cassiar Gold Camp by increasing the land position by approximately ~250% to 56,300 hectares (2008)
- Completed a 6,355 line-kilometre geophysical survey (August 2008) followed by a detailed "ground-truthing" reconnaissance exploration exercise in and around the Table Mountain gold zone
- Completed underground access rehabilitation (Summer 2008) in preparation of moving towards production
- Completed the construction of a 40 person exploration camp (Fall 2008)
- Completed a 2,536 metre 15-hole surface diamond drill program (November 2008) to define East Bain Zone
- Completed purchase of remaining 70% (to control 100%) of the Taurus gold deposit (December 2008)
- Validated and compiled an extensive database (Spring 2009) comprising over 40 years of historical information into a fully digital geological model (the property has never been consolidated in its history)
- Assembled strong operational and technical team
Extensive Infrastructure in a Proven Gold Camp
The Cassiar Gold Camp property is comprised of approximately 56,300 hectares and contains the Table Mountain and Taurus gold deposits. The Cassiar Gold Mine is a permitted 270 metric tonne per day gravity/flotation mill and tailings impoundment facility, 13 adits/portals, ~25 kilometres of underground infrastructure, ~23 kilometres of surface access roads throughout the property, assay lab and 40 person camp. Highway #37 runs directly through the property and the Cassiar airstrip is also accessible some 10 kilometres from the mine site.
Historical gold production from the camp amounted to just under 500,000 ounces at a grade of approximately 15 g/t Au. The mill last operated in October 2007, prior to being acquired by Hawthorne. Gold mineralization at the camp is primarily hosted in extensive quartz-carbonate-gold vein systems strongly associated with thrust faulting within altered greenstone and/or altered carbonatized ultramafic volcanic assemblages that are typical of some of Canada's largest gold camps, including Timmins, Kirkland Lake and Val d'Or.
About Hawthorne Gold Corp.
Hawthorne Gold Corp. is a Canadian-based gold exploration and development company with key properties in British Columbia, Canada. Hawthorne is led by well-respected mining leaders Richard Barclay and Michael Beley. Hawthorne's goal is to become a junior gold producer by working towards production at Cassiar Gold Mine in Q4 2009 / Q1 2010 and to continue resource development of the nearby Taurus deposit, as well as the Frasergold deposit in the south central British Columbia Cariboo region. Hawthorne continues to review potential acquisitions, focusing on high quality, advanced gold development opportunities.
For more information on Hawthorne, contact Todd Hanas toll free at 1-866-869-8072 or the Company at (604) 629-1505, or you can visit Hawthorne's website at www.hawthornegold.com.
ON BEHALF OF HAWTHORNE GOLD CORP.
"Richard J. Barclay"
President & CEO
Certain information regarding the Company including management's assessment of future plans and operations, may constitute forward-looking statements under applicable securities laws and necessarily involve risks associated with mining exploration and development, volatility of prices, currency fluctuations, imprecision of resource estimates, environmental and permitting risks, access to labour and services, competition from other companies and ability to access sufficient capital. As a consequence, actual results may differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements. A feasibility study has not been completed and there is no certainty the disclosed targets will be reached nor that the proposed operations will be economically viable.
Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy of accuracy of this release.
You can view the Next News Releases item: Tue Jun 9, 2009, Hawthorne Engages O&M Partners LLC
You can view the Previous News Releases item: Fri May 29, 2009, Hawthorne Amends and Exercises Bourdon Option Agreement at Frasergold
You can return to the main News Releases page, or press the Back button on your browser.